



CENTRAL NOVA AREA SERVICE COMMITTEE OF NARCOTICS ANONYMOUS

April 25, 2021

Amendments to the March minutes: None

**AREA SERVICE COMMITTEE EXECUTIVE OFFICERS**

RCM	Jennifer M	Present
Alt. RCM	Jewlz M	Absent
Chair	John B	Present
Vice-Chair	Vacant	Vacant
Secretary	Julee A	Present
Alt. Secretary	Vacant	Vacant
Treasurer	Supriya D	Present
Alt. Treasurer	Vacant	Vacant
Activities Committee Chair	Vacant	Rep Present
Literature Committee Chair	Lisa A	Present
PR Committee Chair	Bill H	Absent

**HOME GROUPS – GSR’S, ALTERNATES OR REPS – ATTENDANCE**

Group	Rep	Present	Report	Vote
1. 90 in 90		No	No	No
2. A New Way to Live	Rosey K	No	No	No
3. Breaking Free	Darren B	No	No	No
4. Get Honest or Die	Kevin M	No	No	Yes
5. I Can't We Can	Wade M	No	No	Yes
6. Just for Today	Kevin C	Yes		Yes
7. Last Chance	Greg	No		No
8. Liberation	Cindy M	No	No	No
9. Nature of Recovery	Matt W	No	No	No
11. Nothing to Fear		No	No	No
12. Pride in Our Recovery	Patty W	No		No
13. Road to Recovery	Angela B	Yes	Yes	Yes
14. Serenity Seekers	Robert B	No		Yes
15. Sharing the Message	Andrew M	Yes	Yes	Yes
16. Shelter from the Storm	Tristan	Yes	Yes	No
17. Starting Point	Daryl G	No		Yes
18. Strength in Numbers	Andre S	Yes		Yes
19. Survivors	Rick E	No		Yes
20. We Do Recover	Ray K	Yes	Yes	Yes
21. You Have a Choice Today	Chrissy B	Yes		Yes

**GROUPS OUTSIDE HRM - GSR'S, ALTERNATES OR REPS - ATTENDANCE**

<b>Group</b>	<b>Rep.</b>	<b>Present</b>	<b>Report</b>	<b>Vote</b>
Circle of Hope	Jimmy Y	No	No	Yes
Clean if You Want to Be Foundation Group	Keith M Jack	No	No	Yes
Freedom Group (info tbc)				
Fresh Start	Mike	No	No	Yes
Living Clean	Cathy S/Laura H	No	No	Yes
Love Life	Kyle P	No	No	Yes
New Vision	Gary P	Yes	Yes	Yes
Pathway to Peace	Georges N	No	No	Yes
Phoenix Group	Kathy M	Yes	No	Yes
Spirit of Recovery (info tbc)				
Super Nova		No	No	Yes
Taking Care of Business	Mark S	No	No	Yes
You're Not Alone	Ernie C	No	No	Yes

CNA web-site: [www.centralnovaarea.ca](http://www.centralnovaarea.ca)

CNA e-mail address: [centralnovaarea@gmail.com](mailto:centralnovaarea@gmail.com)

The meeting opened with the Serenity Prayer at 2:00 pm. The 12 Traditions, 12 Concepts, Service Prayer and 'A Vision for NA Service' were read by the group. After corrections to last month's minutes were given: No errors or omissions. Minutes adopted by Just For Today and seconded by New Vision.

**Attendance** was taken with 8 out of 14 voting groups present and 1 out of town group equaling quorum.

Observers: There were a couple observers but no names were given.

**New Group asking to be Seated:** None

## SUB-COMMITTEE REPORTS

### Activities Committee Report: Dolores F

May	Sat 22	<p align="center"><b>“Testing the Waters” Speaker Jam</b></p> <p align="center">2:00-6:00 pm at 322 Herring Cove Rd., Spryfield</p> <p align="center">Seven speakers – BBQ hot dogs – COVID-safe event</p> <p align="center">Dependant on NS/HRM COVID restrictions, this might be an online event</p>
	Sun 23	<p align="center"><b>NA Ball begins</b></p> <p align="center">Softball at Halifax Commons Diamond 8. 11:00 am - 1:00 pm</p> <p align="center">\$3.50 contribution appreciated to help with costs</p> <p align="center">Current NS/HRM COVID restrictions removed our May 16<sup>th</sup> start date</p>
	Sat 29	<p>Activities Committee meeting at 3:00 pm</p> <p>Zoom ID: 809 117 884. Password: “cnana” all lower case</p>
	Sun 30	<p align="center">Softball at Halifax Commons Diamond 8. 11:00 am - 1:00 pm</p> <p align="center">\$3.50 contribution appreciated to help with costs</p>

Kevin: Should the webservant take the flyer for the Speaker Jam off the Website?

Dolores: Yes

### Literature Committee: Lisa A

Meeting opened at 10:40 am on Zoom with 6 of 6 voting members present to make quorum. No observers.

### Reports

#### Treasurer:

Opening bank	\$2,532.97	Opening cash	\$0.00 (petty cash)
Deposit (Mar 29)	\$127.95	Sales: Cash	\$224.50      4 orders
Bank charges (Mar 31)	-\$1.95	Cheque	\$79.50      1 Order
Deposited (Apr 1)	\$79.50	E-transfer	\$686.50      6 orders

Order 001851 chq163 (Apr 5)	-\$935.97	<b>Total sales</b>	<b>\$990.50</b>	<b>11 total orders</b>
Order 003350 chq164 (Apr 9)	-\$1,554.72	Deposit	\$79.50	(Starting Point chq)
<b>End bank (Apr 24)</b>	<b>\$247.78</b>	<b>End cash</b>	<b>\$0.00</b>	
<b>Bank and Cash total</b>	<b>\$837.73</b>	To be deposited	\$589.95	(\$990.50 sales - \$79.50 Apr 1 deposit - \$321.05 expenses)

Literature Report (none outstanding)  
continued:

**Accounts Receivable**

**Expenses**

Rebuild petty cash	-\$65.00
NAWS order reimburse	-\$166.66
Postage & Supplies	-\$89.39
<b>Total expenses</b>	<b>-\$321.05</b>

**Assets**

Bank and Cash total	\$837.73
Inventory	\$6,528.27
Prudent Reserve	-\$7,500.00
Accounts receivable reserve	\$0.00

**Available Balance**      **-\$134.00**

**Old Business**

Elections:

1. Alternate Treasurer: no volunteers or nominations. Bring back to home groups.

**New Business**

None.

**Announcements and Reminders to Groups**

1. Reminder to groups/members who would like to place orders: While under COVID restrictions, orders are to be emailed to [literaturechaircnana@gmail.com](mailto:literaturechaircnana@gmail.com). Orders can be placed at any time and arrange

pick up, delivery or mailing. If mailing, postage cost will be added to order total. Payments may be made via e-transfer to the same email.

Meeting closed at 11:14 am with the Third Step prayer. Next committee meeting: 30 May 2021 at 10:30 am on Zoom. ID is: 876 2256 5688. Password is: 383748.

YIS, Lisa A.

**Public Relations Committee Chair:** Bill H

**Safe Spaces ad hoc Committee (SSC):** Kate A

Ad-Hoc Committee Report for ASC Minutes:

Since the ASC meeting in March when the motion to form this committee was approved I have spent much time reviewing what other areas have done and collecting their literature and workshops and considering (through prayer and meditation, consulting with other members) what format could work for us.

Prior to the ASC meeting in April a document with proposed structure, basic proposed agenda and information about the committee was circulated to groups. If any member hasn't had a chance to review this at their group (or even if a member just wants to review it personally) and would like to I can send by email if you reach out to the committee's email address: [safespacesnana@gmail.com](mailto:safespacesnana@gmail.com)

SSC ad hoc report continued:

The first meeting of the Safe Spaces Ad-Hoc Committee will take place on May 23rd at 3:30pm via Zoom. The zoom information will be included at the bottom of this report.

Any member is welcome (and encouraged) to attend and participate but only the representatives of the groups that wish to take part will have a vote in directing the work of the committee. A member has expressed interest in serving as vice chair and the committee will also need a secretary. These positions can be voted upon at the first or second meeting of the committee.

If a group would like to take part please choose a representative at your next business meeting/group conscience so they they can attend our first meeting on May 23rd. The more groups we have, the better!

A point I feel it is important to reiterate in this report is:

This committee is not and cannot be something that intervenes in groups or in individual situations. Further to that, complaints about specific members cannot and should not be addressed to the committee.

The purpose and mandate of this committee is to support our groups and members (that wish to participate) in creating safer spaces so that we can better carry the life saving message of narcotics anonymous within the structure of our 12 traditions.

In loving service,

Kate A

Ad-Hoc Committee Chairperson

**Safe Spaces Zoom Meeting Information:**

Topic: Safe Spaces Committee

Time: May 23, 2021 03:30 PM Halifax

Join Zoom Meeting

<https://us02web.zoom.us/j/84945505917?pwd=azNnak80aitNN0g2TzFPc3hXYy90QT09>

Meeting ID: 849 4550 5917

Passcode: 726472

**Group Reports:**

In Group Reports, for the sake of consistency, the end balance should NOT include the group's prudent reserve or the total GSR fund.

**90 in 90**

GSR: Philip M      Alt GSR: None  
No report

**A New Way to Live**

GSR: Rosey K      Alt GSR: None  
No report

**Breaking Free**

GSR/Rep: Rotating monthly  
No report

**Dignity Group**

GSR: Rachel L      Alt GSR:

Beginning Balance: \$ 0    7<sup>th</sup> Tradition: \$      Literature Sold: \$      Other: \$  
Total Income: \$      Rent: \$      Literature Order: \$      Other: \$  
GSR Fund: \$      ASC Contribution: \$      Total Expenses: \$      Prudent Reserve: \$  
Total GSR Fund: \$      Ending Balance: \$ 0  
Home Group Members: 4      Members at Business Meeting: 3      Average Attendance: 4

**Get Honest or Die**

GSR:      Alt GSR: Kevin M  
No report

**I Can't We Can**

GSR: Wade M      ALT GSR: Bill H

Beginning Balance: \$ 0    7<sup>th</sup> Tradition: \$ 78.10    Literature Sold: 0    Other: 0  
Total Income: \$ 78.10    Rent: \$30.00    Literature Order: \$ 14.00    Other: \$2.50  
GSR Fund: \$ 0    ASC Contribution: \$0    Total Expenses: \$ 46.50    Prudent Reserve: \$136.97  
Total GSR Fund: \$ 0      Ending Balance: \$ 0  
Home Group Members: 3      Members at Business Meeting: 4      Average Attendance: 14

**Group open**

Announcements: Peter. F. Anniversary May 06/2021, 22 years clean  
Bill. H. Anniversary May 20/2021, 21 years clean

**Just for Today**

GSR: Kevin C      Alt. GSR:

Date of Report: **Mar 29, 2021 - Apr 25, 2021**Beginning Balance: **\$0.00**      7<sup>th</sup> Tradition: **\$18.00**      Literature Sold: **\$0.00**      Other: **\$5.00**Total Income: **\$23.00**      Rent: **\$23.00**      Literature Order: **\$0.00**      Other: **\$3.75**GSR Fund: **\$0.00**      ASC Contribution: **\$0.00**      Total Expenses: **\$26.75**      Prudent Reserve: **\$146.25**Total GSR Fund: **\$0.00**      Ending Balance: **\$0.00**Home Group Members: **3**      Members at Business Meeting: **3**      Average Attendance: **12**\*\*Is your Group reopening? If so, when?**No**\*\*Is your Group continuing with a Zoom Meeting? If so, what is the ID and Password?**Yes, 204 349 650 no password****Last Chance**

GSR: Greg M      Alt GSR: Karlee D

No report

**Liberation**

GSR: Cindy M or Louise G (Group Reps)      Alt GSR: None

No report

**Nature of Recovery**

GSR: Matt W      Alt GSR:

No report

**Nothing to Fear**

GSR: Steven G      Alt GSR:

No report

**Pride In Our Recovery**

GSR: Patty W      Alt GSR: Patrick M

No report

**Road to Recovery**

GSR: Angela B      Alt GSR: Kathleen T

**Beginning Balance:** \$ 0.00      7<sup>th</sup> Tradition: **\$23.80**      Literature Sold: **\$51.00**      Other: **\$ 0****Total Income:** \$ 74.80      Rent: \$ 30.00      Literature Order: \$ 0      Other: **\$ 24.00****GSR Fund:** \$ 0      ASC Contribution: **\$ 0**      Total Expenses: \$ 54.00**Prudent Reserve:** \$ 20.80      Total GSR Fund: \$ 0      Ending Balance: **\$ 0.00****Home Group Members:** 8      Members at Business Meeting: 4      Average Attendance: 7

Due to Covid-19 Provincial Gathering Restrictions we are closed for in person meetings until further notice. Once the restriction are lifted we will be holding in person meetings again.

**Serenity Seekers**

GSR: Dolores F Alt GSR: Robert B  
No report

### **Sharing the Message**

GSR: Andrew M Alt GSR: Joe B  
No report

### **Shelter from the Storm**

Alt GSR: Tristan K Alt GSR: Jeff S. Date of Report: Saturday April 24, 2021

Beginning Balance: \$145.77 7<sup>th</sup> Tradition: \$120.50 Literature Sold: \$ 0.00 Other: \$0.00 Total Income: \$120.50 Rent: 150.00 Literature Order: \$ 0.00 GSR Fund: \$ 0.00 ASC Contribution: \$ 0.00 Total Expenses: \$150.00 Prudent Reserve: \$0.00 Total GSR Fund: \$ 0.00 Ending Balance: \$266.27 Home Group Members: 12 Members at Business Meeting:7 Average Attendance:15

\*\*Is your Group reopening? If so, when?

Yes, we've been open for in person meetings since Monday March 1<sup>st</sup> at 7:30pm. We hope to remain open. Hence: all members who attend Shelter must maintain social distance (2 meters), wear masks (covering the face from eyes to chin inclusive at all times during the meeting) and observe all other mandated restrictions AT ALL TIMES WHILE ON CHURCH PROPERTY BOTH INSIDE AND OUTSIDE THE BUILDING).

\*\*Is your Group continuing with a Zoom Meeting? If so, what is the ID and Password? Yes, we will continue with our Wednesday night Zoom meetings (at 7:30pm) for the foreseeable future. ID: 724 677 669 No password required.

Group Concerns:

We have amended our Safety Statement to include the original version from March 2020: "Here at Shelter we value a safe, respectful & predator free meeting space. If at any time you feel uncomfortable or unsafe -please speak to a home group member. Could home group members please raise your hands." A copy of our Safe-Space Policy is attached to this report. We hope this will clarify the intent of our Safety Statement.

Shelter from the Storm continued:

Other Group Information:

Once again, Tristan will attend the April Area Service Committee meeting, and I write reports. Tristan still does not have audio Zoom ability, but can still respond to questions through text and the Chat function with incredible speed and accuracy! Thank you again Tristan.

Our rent is currently paid until the end of May 2021. Our financial report is complete. Our landlord has granted us a retro-active discount for the month of February 2021. Our 150.00 dollar rent is not due until May 31, 2021.

Shelter From the Storm Group of Narcotics Anonymous Safe-Space Policy Our safety statement is made during our meeting preamble:

"Here at Shelter we value a safe, respectful and predator free meeting space. If at any time you feel uncomfortable or unsafe, please speak to a home group member. Could home group members please raise your hands."



If anyone approaches a home group member with concerns:

- 1) The two (2) closest home group members will listen to the member's concerns quietly within the meeting room or invite the member into the nearby foyer for a brief conversation.
- 2) The two home group members will then suggest that the member who identified their concerns sit close to the two identified home members during the meeting, and after the meeting as we close up.
- 3) When the meeting has closed, all home group members in attendance will introduce themselves (NA style) and will hear the member's concerns, as well as take the opportunity to welcome the member and describe both Shelter From the Storm Group and the NA program (particularly if the member is also a new comer).
- 4) After the meeting (or at any time during the meeting if the member who has identified concerns feels that they must leave) two or more home group members will accompany the member with concerns to:
  - Metro Transit Stop #8222 (Robie St. After Charles St.)
  - Another Bus stop within a reasonable distance (Ex. #8181 North St. After Robie St.)
  - A well lit public area nearby (Ex. Circle K Convenience Store 2499 Robie St.)
  - A private vehicle parked within a reasonable distance (one city block) or other formal transportation arrangements such as a taxi or ride service (to be arranged by the member who identified their concerns).

This policy provides support and comfort to anyone who feels unsafe for any reason during Shelter's regularly scheduled meetings. The nature of such concerns may be as serious as predatory behaviour or harassment, or as simple as feeling vulnerable attending a meeting at an unfamiliar inner-city location. Our members will provide this support and comfort as well as familiarizing the member with our group, and strongly suggesting that member keep coming back. This policy will only be acted upon if a member attending our meetings approaches a home group member with concerns in much the same way as formal Safe-Walk & Safe-Ride programs already operate. This policy does not hinder or limit anyone's meeting attendance in anyway, or require anyone to leave the meeting at any time. If a member (or members) repeatedly express concerns to Shelter Home group members, we will refer to suggestions outlined in the NA Service Pamphlet: "Disruptive and Violent Behaviour" in order to address chronic or ongoing issues.

### Starting Point

GSR: Daryl G (Rep)    Alt GSR: None  
 Sending in report for these minutes

### Strength in Numbers

GSR: Andre S    Alt GSR:  
 Beginning Balance: \$0.00    7<sup>th</sup> Tradition: \$136.35    Literature Sold: \$34.50    Other: \$0.00  
 Total Income: \$170.85    Rent: \$50.00 (paid up to July)    Literature Order: \$118.00  
 Other: \$0.00    GSR Fund: \$0.00    ASC Contribution: \$0.00    Total Expenses: \$118.00    Prudent Reserve: \$100.00  
 Total GSR Fund: \$0.00    Ending Balance: \$2.85  
 Home Group Members: 9    Members at Business Meeting: 5    Average Attendance: 30  
Group closed by end of Area due to Covid. Will update Area Secretary if going on Zoom  
 Group Concerns: Concerns regarding last area and the group denying Members from attending

### Survivors

GSR: Rick F Alt GSR:  
No report

### We Do Recover

GSR: Alt. GSR: Rep. Ray K  
Beginning Balance: \$0 7<sup>th</sup>: \$104.85 Literature Sold: \$0 Total Income: \$104.85 Rent May: \$80  
Literature Order: \$0 Bank Fees: \$2.50 Total Expenses: \$2.50 Other: \$0  
Ending Balance: \$22.45 ASC Contribution: \$ 22.45 Bank Balance: \$160.00 (prudent reserve)  
Hi family, things are going good with carrying the message with an average meeting attendance of 15  
at all 13 meetings this month.  
Yours in Loving Service, Ray K

### You Have a Choice Today

GSR: Chrissy B Alt GSR: None  
Beginning Balance: \$696.13 7<sup>th</sup> Tradition: \$ Literature Sold: \$ Other: \$  
Total Income: \$ Rent: \$50 Literature Order: \$155.75 Other: \$  
GSR Fund: \$ ASC Contribution: \$150.00 Total Expenses: \$52.50 Prudent Reserve:  
\$75,00

Total GSR Fund: \$ Ending Balance: \$ 262.88  
Home Group Members: 15 Members at Business Meeting: 8 Average Attendance: 24  
\*\*Is your Group reopening? If so, when? Group meetings are open in person as long as the church  
allows us to continue.  
\*\*Is your Group continuing with a Zoom Meeting? If so, what is the ID and Password? 819 398 650  
password cnana

Group Concerns: the group would like clarification on the SSC .  
What does a safe space look like to you in regards to Narcotics Anonymous ?  
What is this committee' s main purpose ?  
Who has the final say on the executive committee ?  
We would like a clear definition of predatory behavior ?  
On the matter of exclusion of certain members to a group , while we agree that no person be denied  
access to recovery, this is private and personal between those particular members . We as a group feel  
this does not belong at the area table as it is an outside issues between the members involved.

Announcements: Mike L will celebrate 18 months May 28<sup>th</sup>

Yours in service

Chrissy B, GSR for YHACT

### GROUP REPORTS FROM OUTSIDE HRM

#### Circle of Hope

GSR: Jimmy Y Alt. GSR:  
No report

#### Foundation Group

Submitted by Jack A, Secretary  
GSR: None Alt GSR: None

No report

**Fresh Start**

No report

**Living Clean (Bridgewater)**

GSR: Cindy S Alt GSR: None

No report

**Love Life**

GSR: Kyle P Alt. GSR: Brie Y

No report

**New Vision**

GSR: Gary P Alt GSR:

Beginning Balance: \$ 0.09 7<sup>th</sup> Tradition: \$ 100.95 Literature Sold: \$55.00 Other: \$0  
 Total Income: \$155.99 Rent: \$50 (May) Literature Order: \$ 35.00 Other: \$3.66  
 GSR Fund: \$ 0 ASC Contribution: \$67.33 Total Expenses: \$155.99 Prudent Reserve:  
 \$100.00 Total GSR Fund: \$0 Ending Balance: \$ 0

Home Group Members: 7 Members at Business Meeting: 3 Average Attendance: 10 (16 at  
 NV anniversary March28)

\*\*Is your Group reopening? If so, when? In person Sunday evenings 8-9PM

\*\*Is your Group continuing with a Zoom Meeting? If so, what is the ID and Password? No

Other Group Information: Gary P. will join Safe Spaces Ad hoc Committee

**Pathway to Peace**

GSR: Alt GSR:

No report

**Phoenix Group**

GSR: Kathy M Alt GSR: None

Beginning Balance: \$55.80 7<sup>th</sup> Tradition: \$34.65 Literature Sold: \$0 Other: \$0 Total Income: \$34.65  
 Rent: \$17.33 Literature Order: \$0 Other: \$0 GSR Fund: \$0 ASC Contribution: \$0 Total Expenses:  
 \$17.33 Prudent Reserve: \$0 Total GSR Fund: \$0 Ending Balance: \$73.62 Home Group Members: 7  
 Members at Business Meeting: 5 Average Attendance: 12-14

\*\*Is your Group reopening? If so, when? Sunday Night is in person and hybrid

\*\*Is your Group continuing with a Zoom Meeting? If so, what is the ID and Password?

Friday Night ID 72470953247 PW 123

**Super Nova**

GSR: Wanda F Alt GSR: None

No report

**Taking Care of Business**

GSR: Kendra H      Alt GSR: Mark S  
No report

**Talking Circle**

GSR: Mark S      Alt GSR: None  
No report

**You're Not Alone**

GSR: Ernie C      Alt GSR: N/A  
No report

**EXECUTIVE REPORTS**

**Regional Committee Member (RCM):** Jennifer M

April 25, 2021 RCM report for Central Nova Area

In May, we have the following opportunities to take part in fellowship while expanding the depth of our understanding and connection within our Region.

On May 1<sup>st</sup> starting at 11:30A.M. our time, Newfoundland area is putting on May Day with 3 workshops, the first of which is “**Service Starts at Home Group: Creating a healthy atmosphere online.**” Something we all benefit from.

**Meeting ID: 824 9658 3644 Passcode: NL2021**

Our yearly **CARNA Regional Assembly** takes place **May 8** via zoom ID 943 5236 6400. I hope to see a good turn out from our area, not only from the GSRs but any interested addict. Two of the workshops that I am particularly interested in learning from are “**Building Strong Home Groups**” and “**Atmosphere of Recovery.**”

On **May 9**, the **RSC Meeting** via zoom ID 943 5236 6400 starts at 11:00. Today I am asking for the check re our Area’s Contribution to Region so that I can get it to the Regional Treasurer on time. I will be discussing with the Treasurer issues brought up by the Foundation group during February 28’s ASC meeting and seeking solutions forward. I will get back to the group rep once this is done.

Following up on a Group Concern expressed at the last ASC, the chairperson and myself met with some of the home group members of the Dignity Group to ask if they were turning addicts away or blocking them from attending their meeting. The quick answer is yes and no. If a member is feeling intimidated by the presence of another member and feels unsafe, they private message the host or co-host who in turns asks the person to leave the meeting or in the case if it is the host or cohost that is feeling threatened, they will have the discussion at the waiting room level. It was suggested at this meeting with the Dignity group that they do as other specialty online groups do. They let them know that while this speciality meeting and may not be for them at this time, there is hope and will redirect them to virtual-NA.org so they can attend a meeting. The members seemed to think this may be a way forward. When asked what Area can do for this group (I’m paraphrasing them), they asked for understanding and open hearts while making room for all the suffering addicts. After this meeting with the Dignity group, I looked up and saw that there are 24 virtual meetings listed at 8:00 pm Tuesday, with additional ones starting at 8:15 and 8:30 and continuing onwards.

Truly we are fortunate to be in recovery today.

Yours in service, Jennifer M.

**Vice-Chair Report:** Vacant

**Area Chair:** John B

No report

**Treasurer's Report:** Supriya D

April 24, 2021

**OPENING BALANCE:** \$2,161.31 (Prudent Reserve \$1,250.00)**INCOME**

ASC Member and Group Contributions: \$ 875.05

Plus Opening Balance: 2,161.31

Total Income: \$3036.36

**EXPENSES:**

Cellphone: \$56.98

Bank fee: 4.95

Insurance premium reserve: 120.00

Freedom Voice: 10.87

Total expenses: \$192.80

Total Income \$3036.36

Total expenses: - 192.80  
\$2,843.56Prudent Reserve: - 1,250.00

Total \$1,593.56

Regional contribution \$1,593.56

Closing Balance \$0

Jennifer (RCM) I know we talked about having the bank statements mailed directly to you...has that been done? Supriya confirmed that each time she goes to the bank, she gets them to print a statement. They have been informed and they have still not started doing this. Me getting the printed statement in the meantime works well for me.

**Alternate Treasurer's Report:** Vacant**OLD BUSINESS:****Update on In Person Meetings**

Currently, in HRM and Enfield, Musquodoboit, Ecum Secum these all have new restrictions implemented. Addictions Supports Groups have a meeting limit of 25 people now along with all of our usual public health precautions (mask, social distancing and cleaning).

**Issues brought forward from last month:**

Addressed in RCMs report

**Vacant Positions Nominations:**Vice Chair

No nominations or volunteers  
GSRs bring back to Home Groups

Activities Committee Chair

No nominations or volunteers  
GSRs bring back to Home Groups

Alternate Treasurer:

No nominations or volunteers  
GSR bring back to Home Group

Alternate Secretary

No nominations and no volunteers  
GSRs bring back to Home Groups

**OLD BUSINESS:****CONSENSUS BASED DECISION MAKING:**

Nothing to report

Question: what are we waiting on to begin implementing this? John confirmed that we have to create and integrate it into our guidelines.

**OPEN FORUM: 4 pm – 4:06 pm**

- Dave – could Area record the # of observers for the Area meeting so that we can have a total number of attendees? There are a lot of groups that are not here....those who have a history of no attendance, can we reach out a little more for them? Also, “Disruptive and Violent Behaviour” pamphlet – if you group need any, we have them. Excluding members, we are bound by law to exclude members if legal proceedings are in place. Concept #3 says the NA groups delegate to the service authority.....so this ad hoc committee has been assigned by the groups so, the groups should not micromanage it. The groups can provide direction as it returns to area with information/updates. Concept #5 is to trust the chairperson of the ad hoc committee.
- Kevin (JFT) – I just want to reiterate the Regional Assembly, it is important for GSRs to attend. It is a fantastic opportunity to learn a lot about NA. It is important to bring it back to our groups and have as much support as possible. Ultimately, it is for our recovery.

**GROUP CONCERNS (as addressed by the RCM, Jennifer M)**

-Strength in Numbers regarding the group denying a member entry. Andre feels it has pretty much already been discussed. Andre will bring back to his group.

-You You Have a Choice Today: Group Concerns: the group would like clarification on the SSC.  
 What does a safe space look like to you in regard to Narcotics Anonymous?  
 What is this committee's main purpose?  
 Who has the final say on the executive committee?  
 We would like a clear definition of predatory behavior.

Group Concerns continued:

On the matter of exclusion of certain members to a group, while we agree that no person be denied access to recovery, this is private and personal between those members. We as a group feel this does not belong at the area table as it is an outside issue between the members involved.

RCM: Clarification what does a Safe Space look like to NA? The ad hoc Committee is looking at if we are doing a good job, can we make it any better? The SSC will meet and bring back information to the GSRs at Area and we can decide at that time if it is what is needed. It is a matter of trust, that we trust this committee to do what they have been assigned to do. As the time goes, this committee will figure out what their role is.

From IP #29: We strongly discourage any harassment, threats, or disturbing behavior before, during, and after our meetings. This includes unwelcome sexual, romantic, financial, and religious solicitation. Our meetings are for sharing NA recovery. If you feel harassed or threatened, share your concerns with the meeting leader or a trusted servant.

Kate: as far as things such as the primary purpose of the committee and definitions...as the Chair of the committee and as a member of NA, I believe the proposal is the only thing that I should do as one member, The remainder needs to be turned over to the groups. Ie: what does a safe space look like? I feel the groups should answer this and the members will tell us what they feel a safe space is? What does a space that is well look like? What does it look like when it is not? I feel very strongly that this is a group lead committee.

Predatory behaviour definition: I feel we should look to other areas for help with this, rather than duplicating the work. Some areas have already created definitions. The groups may look to that and choose what we want to adopt. Don't get hung up on predatory behaviour, but there are a lot of other aspects to look at to have a safe, well meeting space. I received push back on including "predatory behaviour" in my proposal. However, if we cannot name it then how can we address it. I recognize that this is uncomfortable for some people. Does this clarify things for You Have a Choice Today? Chrissy clarified that it does.

John confirmed that what the committee's role is, is included in the motion from last month. Please review and if you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to let us know.

### **NEW BUSINESS:**

New Vision: Dave put up a couple of brochures. Can the titles be added to the minutes? John confirmed that they are available in NA.org and we can also include the names: Disruptive and Violent Behaviour, Concepts booklet and IP #29 Introduction to NA Meetings.

No motions

Motion to adjourn JFT and We Do Recover seconded. Meeting closed at 4:35 pm. with the 3<sup>rd</sup> Step Prayer.

Next Area will be May 30th at 2:00 pm. on Zoom

Yours in Service,

Julee A, Area Secretary